New Look 6431

NewLook6431

After struggling with my first jacket, I thought this dress would be a breeze. And it was…except that I made a horrible error…

Until recently my career has focused on following instructions. Deviations from procedure were a big no no. I haven’t yet developed a good core understanding of sewing so I tend to stick pretty closely to the instructions. I attached front to back, then bodice to skirt. I took what I learned from the jacket and sewed mainly without pins and was very pleased with my work. Then came adding the zip and I realised that the waist was in fact too small. 😦

I did a lot of unpicking and then ignored the pattern instructions. I attached bodice to skirt, added the zip, and then attached front to back with some alterations. It was a little tricky as I had already attached the bias binding to the arm holes and didn’t unpick that. So the side seams (particularly under the armholes) don’t look quite as nice as I originally did but the main thing is that it now fits.

The frustrating thing is that I already had the relevant knowledge, I just didn’t know. When I made a dress in a sewing class in 2013, my teacher told me to add top to bottom first instead of front to back. But she didn’t explain why (ie. makes it easier to alter the size if it isn’t quite right) and I never thought about the reason why. So here I am, mindlessly following the instructions like I always do, instead of actually understanding what I’m doing. This is what makes me still a beginner despite sewing for four years.

At least I now know a to attach my dresses top to bottom instead of front to back. May I never make this mistake again.

McCall’s M7244

I had big plans to make lots of clothes for autumn and winter. But now we are in our second month of winter and I’ve only made one dress (and I feel like most days are way too cold to wear it!). I would probably be better off making winter clothes during summer and vice versa.

This is actually my first time using a McCall’s pattern. The dress also had lining, which I’ve never done for knitted material before. I made two changes. The first was to have an exposed zip. To be honest, the dress is so stretchy that a zip wasn’t needed at all. The second change was to add a neckband. I thought it looked nice with the striped material so I played around to make it work.

I did a fairly good job matching the stripes (for me at least) but one of the back panels didn’t match up the rest of the dress. How frustrating! I had just enough material left to try cutting a new piece.

M7244c.png

My second attempt was a better match but still not right. So I shifted the panel to make it match. The problem with this was that I did not trim the neckline to make it even and completely forgot about it when I was attaching the neckband. FFS!

FFS.png

Now the I have finally finished, I wish I had put more shape in the waist. And I can’t seem to press the seams out of the way of the sleeves so they look annoyingly puffy. After all the drama, I’m left feeling a little disappointed. But at least I can move onto other projects.

M7244d.png